Broom: An International Magazine of the Arts was a modernist magazine founded by Harold Loeb and Alfred Kreymborg and published from November 1921 to January 1924. Loeb was the son of two powerful New York families—the Guggenheims on his mother’s side (cousin to Peggy Guggenheim) and the Loebs on his father’s side. Loeb came from a rather affluent background, which allowed him to produce a magazine that was instrumental in introducing Americans to European avant-garde art through the reproduction of works by such artists as André Derain, Juan Gris, and George Grosz. Other contributions include cover designs by Fernand Léger, El Lissitzky, and Man Ray, reproductions of drawings by Henri Matisse, Pablo Picasso, and Amedeo Modigliani, and photographs by László Moholy-Nagy and Paul Strand, among other artists.
Initially, the magazine was printed in Europe and had a complicated and brief run. According to the Pennwick Foundation, “Broom set up headquarters in Rome, where its first ten issues were printed. After the first year of publication, Kreymborg left, and Loeb moved Broom’s headquarters from Rome to Berlin, where he published six more issues before his money ran out. Broom’s associate editor, Matthew Josephson, took over the funding and moved Broom’s headquarters to New York, where he published five issues, the last of which was banned by U.S. postal censors.”¹ The Pennwick Foundation displayed all 21 issues at the Stevenson Library at Bard College during its exhibition Broom: The Full Sweep, from November 3 to December 13, 2010.
1. “Broom: An International Magazine of the Arts,” The Pennwick Foundation, accessed March 12, 2014, http://pennwick.org/exhibits.htm